I wrote this over the summer…someone somewhere issued some kind of challenge – I don’t remember – but it was rather fun, so here you go.
I bet you didn’t know that…(or maybe you did. Did you?)
1. My favorite color is orange.
2. I love dogs, but really, I only love big dogs. Small dogs don’t count as dogs. If you can’t use them as a pillow, what’s the point? Or, if my cat can beat up your dog, that’s not a dog. That’s a wind-up toy.
3. I clean and organize when I’m stressed out.
4. I used to struggle with anorexia. Anorexia often stems from a need to control your situation.
5. For me, cleaning and organizing is sort of like “environmental anorexia.” It gives me a sense of control when things are out of control. So on a bad day, you’ll often find me cleaning the edge of the sink with a q-tip or organizing my underwear drawer into color order.
6. I love to iron. Iron is bringing order from chaos. It is a lovely thing.
7. I keep an iron and ironing board out at all times.
8. I love to host parties. Dinner parties, BBQs, showers. I love to throw open the doors and fill the house up with people.
9. I used to hate gardening. Now, I love it. I feel lost without it. A weekend is not a weekend if the yard-waste can is still empty by Sunday night.
10. I am energized by feeling productive. Accomplishing tasks drives me forward.
11. I might sometimes put things down on a checklist just for the satisfaction of immediately crossing them off.
12. I have worn contacts since I was seven years old.
13. I love California wines, all sorts, as long as they aren’t too sweet. Not big on dessert wines. Except port. Port in the winter, by a fire, is a lovely thing.
14. I love to bake but I’m not a very good cook.
15. I married a really good cook who likes to cook.
16. I used to be ashamed that I’m not a very good cook.
17. Then I woke up and realized that being married to a good cook who likes to cook is AWESOME.
18. I conned my husband into learning how to make bread from scrtach.
19. I gained ten pounds the year my husband learned to make bread.
20. I like to bake cakes from scratch. Big layer cakes with homemade frosting. But my attention span is too short to be good at applying frosting beautifully, so I mainly go for haphazard swirls or ganache or drizzle.
21. I make a really good maple cheesecake.
22. I have also perfected the World’s Most Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookie.
23. I don’t like the color pink. Coral is as close as I get.
24. Shoes make the outfit. But I still have plainy-old rubber flip flops…I’m not above flip flops.
25. I’m scared of birds.
26. Birds have evil-looking eyes. I think chickens secretly want to peck your eyes out.
27. I used to torture Daddy Long Leg spiders as a kid.
28. I try to avoid handling raw meat. Ever. But I don’t mind eating meat.
29. I love sushi, in limited quantities, but it can’t be super cold. I have texture issues with cold and slimy.
30. I absolutely loathe custard and pudding. Aforementioned texture issues.
31. I never drink soda of any kind, except for Fresca, on occasion, in the summer.
32. I know how to tie a monkey fist sailor’s knot.
33. Both of my pinkies curve outward at the middle knuckle, just like my mother’s did.
34. I am a descendant of THE Johnnie Walker.
35. I think scotch tastes like dirt. My husband loves scotch. The more it smells and tastes like dirt, the more he likes it.
36. My preferred wine is chardonnay, as long as it’s nice and buttery.
37. You can never have too much cheese.
38. I think basil is one of God’s greatest gifts to the world. Second only to that is feta.
39. I am a foodie. I love food. I love new foods and fusion foods and funky combinations and flavors that are outside the box.
40. I used to turn up my nose at spicy food as a kid. My parents loved spicy food. I missed out on a lot of awesome food.
41. When I was pregnant the second time, I craved spicy food. I had terrible heartburn, but I ate it anyway.
42. When I was pregnant the first time, I craved salt to such an extent that I would eat it straight out of the container. No joke. French fries were simply a means to salt.
43. My favorite flowers are Gerber daisies. They are just such happy flowers. They smile.
44. I love knowing the Latin names of all my plants. It makes me feel brainy. Agapanthus, Heuchera, Coreopsis, Camellia Japonica, Fatsia Japonica, Alyssum, Lobelia, etc.
45. I have 16 roses in my yard and I know the name of every one. Gertrude Jekyll, Graham Thomas, Pat Austin, Abraham Lincoln, Sharifa Asma… all weirdly wonderful and unique.
46. I am most self-conscious of my stomach.
47. I like my shoulders.
48. I have had short-short hair since 1995.
49. I have short hair because I am lazy.
50. I do not color my hair. I did once. It was bad.
Your turn: Can you relate to any of my weirdness?
Like this post? Subscribe to receive future posts via email or a quarterly newsletter that positively glimmers with good stuff.